Disable Window Snapshot Backups in NetBackup
When a backup of a Windows client is initiated, NetBackup's default process attempts to do a "Windows Open File/Snapshot Backup". This has caused complications in the past versions of the client software (6.x and earlier), especially for systems that are under significant load, like SQL and FNP servers. The problem is definitely exacerbated in Clustered Windows environments, but has also happened to standalone application servers running programs that keep logs and other files locked. One way to resolve the problem is to turn off "WOFB" (Windows Open File Backups) by performing a simple change on the Master server.
On clustered client instances this process only needs to be performed for the cluster backup interface name. I.e., the sqlprod instance is comprised of 2 physical nodes, sql51 & sql52, with the backup cluster resource of sqlprodbkup. In this instance we would only perform this procedure for the client name sqlprodbkup since that is the name used for the production backups.
- Login to the Java Administration Console for the clients Master server.
- Click on "Host Properties" in the left column.
- Double-click on "Master Servers" in host properties.
- Find the master server in the list and double-click on it. This should have brought up the "Master Server Properties" window. If the "Master Server Properties" window does not appear after 2 minutes, then double-click on the master server again.
- In the left hand pane of the "Master Server Properties" window, click on "Client Attributes".
- Locate the client in the list, if the client is not in the list then it will need to be added.
- To add the client click on the "Add..." button.
- Enter the client name in the "Add Client" pop-up window.
- Click on the "Add" button.
- Click on the client name in the list to select it.
- With the client name selected, highlighted, click on the "Windows Open File Backup" tab.
- Find the "Enable Windows Open File Backups for this client" box.
- You can disable WOFB by un-checking this box.
- Another option is to change the behavior for this option, to have it be disabled if an error occurs, allowing the backup to continue.
- Also note that in versions 6.5 and newer VSS should be used by default.
- Click on the "OK" button at the bottom of the "Master Server Properties" window and wait for it to close.
Back to NetBackup